Sunday, December 18, 2005

There was an young australian who lived in a s**thole

Good day faithful readers. As part of my employment arrangement with the world famous Blue Anchor Pub, I am supplied with accommodation free of charge. The accommodation in question is about 30m from the pub and used to belong to the gentleman who owns the pub.

Now I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this place seems to be steadily falling down around my ears! A large part of the reason for this would be the fact that it has been occupied for several years at least by people who, like myself, are only here for a couple of months, and unlike myself, don't seem to mind if they live in squalor. When I first arrived there was dirt all over the floor, dishes piled high and general disgustingness all around. Through the effort of myself and one other and through the departure of several key mess contributors the place has improved somewhat, but you can only do so much.

There are also things wrong with the house that are just due to lack of maintenance. For a couple of weeks now we've been living with intermittent heating/hot water. Personally I haven't had a problem with the heating, although the females in the house seem to start complaining as soon as the temperature inside drops below 30C. The real problem is the hot water, which seems to turn itself on and off as it pleases, which is great fun when you're standing in the bathroom in the morning shivering while you try to detect the faintest increase in temperature which may let you know if you're going to be having a shower that morning. Thankfully, if the hot water does decide not to work we're able to use the showers in the hotel rooms, so don't think that we're all just running around stinking.

It may be part of the hot water problem, I'm not sure, but this morning we discovered water running down the wall underneath the bathroom (which is on the first floor). It was also running down the outside of the house, which resulted in some rather spectacular icicles hanging off our verandah (I'll attach photos when I get around to moving them off my camera). Anyways, after weeks of complaining to management we're supposed to have plumber coming in the next couple of days to try and sort the numerous problems out. Lets just hope that bath doesn't decide to go plummeting through the floor with me in it before he has time to visit!

2 Comments:

At 7:52 am, Blogger Glen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 am, Blogger Glen said...

Hey Sam,

It seems like a bit of effort just to be allowed to post a comment about your messages. I needed to set up a blog of my own, which I don't expect I'm going to use, just so that I am deemed credible enough to post something on your site. This probably explains the sparcity (is that a real word?) of comments so far. It could also be that people don't want their comments to you openly posted. I know I'm having second thoughts, but what the heck.

As you may see above, I had written something which I thought was rather clever, but Lianne told me it was wrong so I became all self-conscious and deleted it.
Now I’m trying to come up with something else clever to replace it, but the best I can think of is with regard to your previous job. You’ll be pleased to know that you were literally irreplaceable. When the position was advertised, no applications were received.

I'm really enjoying reading your site, so please keep it up. It sounds like your settling in OK. With regard to your Carrot-Pub idea, while I’m not the uber-health freak that would be your target customer, I think I would go along a few times to support the young Aussie MBA who was playing host, but I don’t think it would become my regular digs.

Lianne and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Glen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home