Sunday, October 15, 2006

Records are tumbling here at the Millennium Stadium

Good day faithful readers. I've just returned from a weekend in Cardiff where I competed in the Cardiff Half-Marathon. And I'm happy to report that I was finally able to break my personal best time, which had stood since 2003, when I did my first half marathon. My new PB is now 1:34:40, taking a whopping 22 seconds off my previous best. Given that I had flogged myself for the last 5km, I thought I might take a bit more off than that, but my hopes were dashed when I entered the stadium and discovered that I had to do a whole lap... granted, only 400m, but when you're on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion (it's probably more mentally demoralising than anything actually) and you've only got seconds to play with, that's a damn long way!

I'd just like to thank that following people... the fabulous Serpentine Running Club. In addition to all the training sessions and coaching they provide, this was the first time that I'd worn my club outfit during a race, and I'm not saying that it's totally responsible for me setting a new record, but it certainly can't have hurt. Rather than just being another face in the crowd, I was a member of a select group. I found myself being cheered on by people in the crowd who recognised the jersey, urged on by fellow club members also racing. Toward the end of a race, when your legs and lungs are starting to win the battle with your mind to make you slow down there's nothing like having someone on the sidelines to help drown out those voices and let you push on just a little bit longer.

To further illustrate my point, after I'd finished and gone back to the hotel to have a shower and had some lunch I returned to the stadium to watch the marathon runners finish their race. By this time all the good runner had well and truly finished, leaving only the ordinary people to win their battle of mind over body. Emerging from Cardiff Castle with about a mile to go there were a lot of sorry looking people, but when they emerged onto the streets lined with people cheering them on you could literally see them lift, like they were being willed along. In most cases it was merely going from walking to shuffling, but I've been those people and I know how much effort that requires...

Congratulations to everyone to who finished. Top effort!

2 Comments:

At 10:47 pm, Blogger suelynanas said...

once again, i shake my head in disbelief and ask myself this profound question: why run when you can sit in front of the tele with a can of cold beer?

well done, anyways!!!

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger sam said...

But a can of beer is so much more satisfying when you know you've earned it. Plus you save money, because you're usually comatose after 1-2 thanks your being dehydrated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home