Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Good samaritan

Good day faithful readers. Traveling on the tube here in London isn't for the faint hearted. There are all sorts of hazards one has to negotiate on a daily basis, and this is on top of the dreaded "gap" that we're constantly being told to mind.

One that I find particularly hazardous, and one which has caught me out numerous times is the ticket gate. If you're just slightly too sluggish it'll try and have you. If you happen to have bags with you then might as well lay down and accept your fate. The worst scenario is that it'll snap its jaws shut and refuse to let go, with you on one side and your bags on the other.

This morning I had to travel to Bristol for a meeting. While waiting at the station to catch my train I spotted a poor soul in exactly the scenario described. Even worse, the item of luggage stuck on the other side of the gates was the backpack that he was wearing. No matter how much he squirmed he couldn't turn around to extract himself. Before he was taken into a death roll I rushed over to be of assistance.

All that was required was for me to lift the bag up slightly to let if come over top of the gates. Unfortunately the victim had worked himself into such a state that he tugged on the bag just as I was lifting it up. This caused it to jerk toward him, which in turn caused him to drop his coffee which then splashed all over me. Covering me and my suit, which I had literally had drycleaned the day before, from head to toe.

As I stood there, speechless, dripping, the victim looked me up and down, said thanks and walked off to catch his train without a word of apology. Leaving me to go to my meeting looking like I'd stepped straight out the garbage heap into the office.

The moral of this story? If you ever see someone lying on the ground in need, do NOT lend a hand. Instead give them a swift kick and be on your way! No more good samaritan behaviour for me.

1 Comments:

At 10:25 pm, Blogger suelynanas said...

hey sam - welcome back.

good samaritians - bah! learn your lesson and learn it well. you might not survive the next coffee incident!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home