Monday, October 23, 2006

And now over to Keith for tomorrow's weather

Good day faithful readers. You know the stereotypical picture of London that everyone has in their head. The dull grey skies, people running around everywhere all rugged up with umbrella's in hand? Well I can tell you that the city is living up to that stereotype, because that is exactly what it has been like here for the last week!

As a result, since I ran the half marathon the other weekend I've only been able to go out and exercise 3 times (including tonight), and on two of those occasions I ended up being rained on because I foolishly headed out when the rain stopped, thinking that deluge had finally ceased!

To be honest I don't think that it is the rain that has been annoying me. A little bit of moisture doesn't dampen my spirits, and I wasn't going to do that much exercise this week anyway. What really annoys me is when I hear English people say something along the lines of "oh yeah, we really need this rain, what with the drought and all"!!!!! Bugger off! It's even less of drought that it was a bloody heatwave at 32C during summer.

I was expressing my disgust to one of my work colleagues about her very loose use of the word drought and she retaliated with "But did you see Hyde Park? It was starting to go brown." "Starting to go brown" I said "if it weren't for the gum trees there would hardly be a part of Australia at the moment that wasn't brown... and that's in the middle of Spring"!

While I'm in whinging mode (apparently it's a disease that is catching), I finally found a place that sold English muffins the other day... not that I had really been looking for them, but when I found them it was a nice surprise. So I bought them, and they were terrible! You go to France and you have baguettes, cheese, wine etc and you think to yourself "yep, they deserve their reputation", and so it should be English muffins in England... then again perhaps it more like going to France and expecting them to have good French Fries! Well, actually, they do have good frites, but you get my point.

And I just signed up for two more years of this (my visa renewal just came through). What was I thinking!

1 Comments:

At 4:36 pm, Blogger suelynanas said...

muffins? no, go for scones! my tummy's growling now at the thought of scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam. and tea.

perfect for the dreary grey english afternoon!

and... be thankful that you'll be in london for another 2 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home