Tuesday, May 08, 2007

We have fire

Good day faithful readers. The temperature here in London has finally started to heat up. To such an extent indeed that last weekend my flatmate suggested that we have a bbq. “Great idea” I said, “I didn’t know we even had one”. With that she pointed over what I had always assumed to be some sort of strange wood oven shaped plant pot! Certainly not the sort that I’m used to operating, but given that everything that I’ve ever tried to cook on the gas variety has turned into a disaster I was willing to give it a go.

Just around the corner from my new place is a really good South African butcher shop, so I thought that drop in and pick up some steaks and sausages. Unfortunately I wasn’t quite prepared for the size of the steaks that they were going to give me. It seems that when I said two pieces of steak that was interpreted as the left side of the cow and the right! So now I had the world’s biggest steak to cook on the world’s smallest bbq.

Although I like steak, particularly when cooked on a bbq, I don't recall having ever actually cooked a good one. They're always overcooked, undercooked, tough. Basically everything that can go wrong would go wrong every time that I attempted to cook steak. Using my mini-q however my monster steak actually turned out extremely nice! Perhaps it was because I couldn't fit anything else on there and my concentration was focused on what I needed to do? Whatever the case, I ate well that night by the glowing coals. Bring on summer and more bbq's I say!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home